Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Charlottesville District's John Trippel


Check out John Trippel's newly posted artwork here.
John's artist statement begins:
"For this period of life, my artwork is a work of the frozen moment. It wasn't always done this way. I used to work strictly from my imaginary characters and I would build up a scene to create a narrative moment of absurd caricatures in an imaginary place. It was a work of fiction but that has changed. Today and for the last year or so, I have been working from life depicting true places and trying to capture the feel and sights of real locations. All my paintings lately have had themes such as depicting local convenient stores or working and reworking a favorite coffee shop of mine. But the point is that I have switched to working on life as it really presents itself."